These Coconut Scones are accented with fresh lemon zest and vanilla to make a scrumptious teatime treat.
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup finely ground sweetened, shredded toasted coconut
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
6 tablespoons shortening, chilled and cut into pieces
⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut milk, divided
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Prepared lemon curd (optional)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt, whisking to combine. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly.
• Add ⅓ cup coconut milk, cream, and vanilla, stirring with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined and a soft dough forms.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 12 scones, rerolling scraps only once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons coconut milk.
• Bake until bottom edges are light golden brown, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly.
• Serve with lemon curd, if desired.