½ cup butter, diced
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup whole-wheat flour
4 large eggs
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
¾ cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
36 (1-inch) cubes smoked Gouda cheese
Garnish: fresh thyme
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a small saucepan, combine butter, salt, and water over
medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to
medium. Add flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon
until mixture forms a ball and pulls away from sides of pan,
approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool for 5
• Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, and beat at medium
speed with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Add pepper, paprika, cayenne, bacon,
and shredded cheese, stirring to combine.
• Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a medium star
tip. Pipe 2-inch rounds 2 inches apart onto prepared baking
sheets. With a lightly moistened finger, make a small indentation
in the center of each cookie.
• Bake until lightly golden, approximately 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove from oven. Place a cheese cube in each indentation.
Return to oven, and bake until cheese is melted, approximately
• Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.
Pictured with Egg Salad Sandwiches