2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 recipe Creamy Mascarpone Hearts
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter
into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, food coloring,
and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring
until a dough forms.
• On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 8 to 10 turns. Roll
to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut as many
scones as possible, rerolling scraps no more than once. Place
scones on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out
clean, approximately 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5
minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely, or serve
warm with Creamy Mascarpone Hearts.
(Pictured with Creamy Marscarpone Hearts)