1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
1 cup finely ground toasted almonds
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup brown butter*, melted
1 recipe Raspberry Puree
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Spray 24 assorted (2- or 3-inch) tartlet pans with baking spray. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, almonds, sugar, and salt, whisking well. Add egg whites, vanilla, and butter, whisking well.
• Divide mixture among prepared pans. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven. Drop approximately ½ teaspoon puree into center of each tartlet (Step 1). Pull a toothpick through the center of each drop to create a heart (Step 2).
• Bake until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely
• Carefully remove cakes from pans. Sift confectioners’ sugar over cakes (Step 3). Use a slightly moistened finger to dissolve sugar over raspberry hearts.
*To make brown butter, in a small saucepan, melt ⅔ cup butter over medium
heat. Continue to cook until butter begins to brown and has a nutty
aroma, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and strain, discarding solids.
Let sit at room temperature until set, approximately 1 hour.