Lemon-Thyme Curd Cakes are a great, light treat for spring or summer days.
Downloads:Lemon-Thyme Curd Cakes
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1½ tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
½ teaspoon coarse salt
1 recipe Lemon-Curd Whipped Topping (recipe follows)
Garnish: 6 thyme sprigs
• Preheat oven to 350˚.
• Spray 6 (2-x-2-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, stirring to combine.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, thyme, lemon zest, and salt. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until just combined after each addition. Spoon ¼ cup batter into each prepared cake pan.
• Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 16 to 22 minutes. Cool in the pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Wrap cakes tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, approximately 2 hours. Cut each cake into thirds horizontally.
• Place Lemon-Curd Whipped Topping in a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip. Pipe topping onto each cake layer. Stack three layers on top of each other.
• Garnish each stack with a thyme sprig, if desired.