During the summer, we love this Peaches and Cream Layer cake using fresh-picked peaches.
Downloads:Peaches and Cream Layer Cake
1½ tablespoons powdered unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
3 cups fresh peach purée
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1½ cups toasted almond slices
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
6 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 recipe Bavarian Cream
Garnish: fresh peach slices and mint
• Line a 17¾-x-12⅞-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Set aside.
• In a large saucepan, combine peach purée and ½ cup granulated sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook
until sugar has dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened, approximately 4 minutes.
• Remove from heat, and add gelatin mixture, stirring until completely dissolved. Pour mixture into prepared baking
• Let cool to room temperature. Freeze until firm, approximately 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350˚.
• Line another 17¾-x-12⅞-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick baking spray
with flour. Set aside.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine almonds and confectioners’ sugar, pulsing until finely ground. Sift
flour over almond mixture. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add remaining
½ cup granulated sugar, and continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Add almond mixture and vanilla to egg whites, folding gently until mixture is smooth.
• Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Tap pan lightly against the counter to remove any air bubbles.
• Bake until golden, 14 to 18 minutes. Let cool.
• Invert cake onto a cutting board, and slowly peel off parchment paper. Set cake aside.
• To assemble, line a 9-x-9-inch straight-sided square baking pan with enough plastic wrap to have approximately
2 inches overhanging on all sides.
• Cut a 9-x-9-inch square of cake, and place it in prepared pan.
• Cut a 9-x-9-inch square of frozen peach jelly. Place it on top of cake layer in prepared pan.
• Spoon one-third of the Bavarian Cream over the peach layer.
• Repeat with a layer of cake, a layer of peach jelly, and a little less than half the remaining Bavarian Cream.
• Use the remaining cake pieces to form a final layer. Spread the remaining Bavarian Cream over cake.
• Freeze or refrigerate cake until completely set, 6 to 8 hours. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
• Remove cake from pan by lifting all 4 corners of plastic wrap. Cut cake into 18 (3-x-1½-inch) rectangles.
• Garnish with fresh peach slices and mint, if desired.