Topped with fresh strawberry slices, these sweet tartlets are a feast for the eyes and the tastebuds.
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup plus 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¾ teaspoon coarse salt, divided
¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup whole buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Garnish: fresh strawberry slices and confectioners’ sugar
• In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse oats until fine but not powder, approximately 30 seconds.
• Add whole-wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, brown sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt, pulsing to combine. Add cold
butter, pulsing until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
• Add cream, pulsing just until dough forms a ball. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm,
approximately 1 hour.
• Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough ball to ⅛-inch thickness. Press
into the bottom and up the sides of 12 (4-x-2-inch) removable-bottom tart pans. Freeze for 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 350˚.
• Using a fork, prick the bottom and sides of dough.
• Bake until crust is lightly golden just around the edges, approximately 8 minutes. Let cool.
• Reduce oven temperature to 325˚.
• In a large bowl, combine sugar and remaining 1½ tablespoons flour. Add buttermilk and eggs, stirring until
mixture is combined. Add melted butter, vanilla, zest, juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining ¼ teaspoon
salt, stirring well. Divide mixture evenly among prepared tart shells.
• Bake until filling is lightly golden around edges and almost set, 16 to 20 minutes.
• Let tartlets cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cover, and refrigerate until
chilled, approximately 1 hour.
• Garnish with fresh strawberry slices and a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.