Grapefruit is nutritious and now, a delicious dessert.
Downloads:Candied Pink-Grapefruit Wedges
14 slices pink grapefruit* (approximately 2 grapefruits sliced to
3½ cups sugar, divided
2 cups water
2 (4-ounce) bars bittersweet chocolate, melted
½ cup finely chopped roasted and salted pistachios
• Preheat oven to 250°.
• Place a cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
• Place grapefruit slices in a large saucepan. Cover
grapefruit with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium
heat. Simmer for 6 minutes without stirring. Drain.
• Return grapefruit to saucepan. Sprinkle 2 cups sugar over
the top. Pour 2 cups cold water over sugar, stirring to
combine. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
• Carefully remove grapefruit slices from sugar water. Place in
a single layer on prepared cooling rack.
• Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
• Place remaining 1½ cups sugar in a shallow dish. Dredge
grapefruit slices in sugar, turning to coat both sides. Return
slices to cooling rack. Allow slices to dry for at least 2 hours.
Cut each slice into fourths.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on High (100
percent power) in 30-second intervals, stirring between each,
• Dip rind edge of wedges in chocolate. Place on prepared
baking sheet. Sprinkle with pistachios.
• Allow chocolate to set for at least 1 hour at room
temperature before serving.
*For testing purposes, we used Texas Rio Star grapefruit.