24 medium button mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
13/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
13/4 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped fennel
1/2 cup finely chopped leek
1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Garnish: fennel fronds
• Preheat oven to 400˚.
• Remove stems from mushrooms. Use a damp cloth or a
mushroom brush to clean mushrooms. Brush mushroom
caps with olive oil, and season with 1 teaspoon salt and
1 teaspoon pepper.
• Place mushrooms, cap side up, on a baking sheet. Bake until
mushrooms are golden and liquid begins to seep from the
cavity, 6 to 7 minutes.
• Place cap side up on paper towels to drain. (Mushroom caps
can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 hours.)
• In a large sauté pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add
fennel and leek to pan. Cook vegetables, stirring often, until
tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Add goat cheese, parsley, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and
remaining ¾ teaspoon pepper, stirring to combine. Divide
filling among mushroom caps.
• Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.