• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine butter, 2 cups sugar, and lemon zest.
Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately
8 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well
after each addition.
• Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour
mixture to butter mixture, alternately with half-and-half,
beginning and ending with flour mixture.
• In a separate bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an
electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining ⅓ cup
sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg-white mixture into batter in thirds. Spoon batter
into prepared pans.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean,
approximately 30 minutes. Cool completely.
• Spread Lemon Filling between cake layers. Frost top and
sides of cake with Creamy Lemon Frosting.
• Garnish with candied lemon-zest curls or lemon twists and
raspberries, if desired.
*To learn how to make candied lemon-zest curls, go to