This lovely soup is sure to warm up even the chilliest Christmas dinner.
Downloads:Golden Beet Soup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons walnut oil
10 medium golden beets, peeled
3 cups chopped yellow onion
1½ tablespoons minced garlic
8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1½ teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Garnish: reserved beets, toasted bread cubes, and fresh thyme
• In a large stockpot, heat butter and walnut oil over mediumhigh
heat. Add beets, onion, and garlic, stirring to combine.
Cook until vegetables soften, 8 to 12 minutes.
• Add vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Simmer for 20
• Add cream, lemon juice, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper,
stirring well. Cook for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and let
• In the container of a blender, puree soup in batches until
smooth, reserving ½ cup chopped beets for garnish, if desired.
Divide soup among serving bowls.
• Garnish individual servings with reserved beets, bread cubes,
and fresh thyme, if desired.
NOTE: For a gluten-free version of this soup, use a gluten-free broth
and omit bread cubes.