• In a large stockpot over high heat, combine the potatoes with
enough water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
medium-high, and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately
30 minutes. Drain potatoes.
• In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Add the butter and milk, a bit
at a time, while mashing. Add the salt and pepper, and stir well to
combine. Refrigerate until cold, approximately 2 hours.
• Add the eggs to the potato mixture, and mix well. Shape potato-egg
mixture into 16 cakes, and place on an ungreased baking
sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
• In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons
vegetable oil. Add the onion, and cook until onion begins to caramelize
and becomes translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the vinegar,
and stir well. Remove from heat, and stir in the thyme. Set aside.
• In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons
vegetable oil. Working in batches, fry the chilled potato
cakes for 7 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Add
remaining oil as needed to skillet in between batches.
• Top each potato cake evenly with 1 tablespoon sour cream and caramelized
onions. Garnish each cake with a parsley leaf, if desired.
(Pictured with Beef Tenderloin with Red-
Wine and Cherry Sauce and Baby Carrots
and Sugar Snap Peas with Dill)