Asparagus tossed in an orange vinaigrette and served in petite crumb cups is a flavorful addition to the tea tray.
Downloads:Asparagus Salad in Crumb Cups Recipe
1 1/2 pounds asparagus
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
3 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
2 tablespoons minced chives
4 cups fresh white bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons crème fraîche
Garnish: orange zest strips
• Cut asparagus spears vertically on a bias into 1 1/2-inch-thick
pieces. In a steamer basket set over boiling water, steam asparagus
pieces until just tender, approximately 2 minutes. Remove
asparagus from the steamer, and let cool.
• In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, orange juice, shallot,
mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, and orange zest. Let stand for
5 minutes. Gradually whisk in the oil until mixture is thoroughly
combined. Stir in the chives. Set aside.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• In a large bowl, toss together the bread crumbs, melted butter,
remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder until well combined.
Divide the mixture evenly among the wells of a 12-cup
muffin pan. Press the crumbs firmly into the bottoms and up the
sides of the wells to form a cup.
• Bake until crumb cups are golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, and let cool completely before removing
• Pour the prepared vinaigrette over the asparagus, and toss to
coat. Divide the asparagus salad evenly among crumb cups, and
top with a small dollop of crème fraîche.
• Garnish with orange zest strips, if desired.