Cheese can make any dish even better. Take these pretzels up a notch by serving with our Cheddar-Mustard Dipping Sauce.
Downloads:Cheesy Pretzel Twists Recipe
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
4 1/3 cups bread flour
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 recipe Cheddar-Mustard Dipping Sauce (see download)
• In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Stir
gently to dissolve yeast and sugar, then let stand for 5 minutes.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, brown sugar, salt, and
• In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, at medium-low
speed, combine the yeast mixture, flour mixture, and beaten egg,
and mix until dough is smooth.
• On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, approximately 5 minutes. Place the dough in
a lightly greased bowl, and turn to thoroughly coat the dough in oil. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and let
stand in a warm (85°) place until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 425°.
• Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, shape each piece of dough into a small rope.
Fold ropes in half, and twist to create pretzel shape. Place pretzels on a lightly greased baking sheet, brush each
with the beaten egg white, and sprinkle each with salt.
• Bake until golden brown, or 10 minutes.
• Serve warm with Cheddar-Mustard Dipping Sauce.