A decidedly spring vegetable, the fava bean is the star of this delicious open-faced tea sandwich.
Downloads:Fava Bean Puree on Toasted Pita Rounds Recipe
9 miniature white pita breads, cut in half horizontally to form 2 thin rounds each
8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 cups shelled, cooked, and peeled fava beans
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
18 small, thin slices pancetta (Italian bacon), cooked until lightly crisp
9 grape tomatoes, halved
Garnish: fresh parsley leaves
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• On a baking sheet, place miniature pita halves in one layer. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons oil, garlic powder, and 1/4
teaspoon salt. Whisk to combine. Brush the oil mixture on each
• Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon
salt, fava beans, lemon juice, and garlic. Pulse until mixture
is well combined. With the food processor running, gradually
drizzle in the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, and process until mixture
is smooth. Stir in the cheese.
• Top each pita round with a slice of pancetta. Top each with 1 1/2
teaspoons fava bean puree, and then top each with a grape tomato
• Garnish with parsley, if desired.