11/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Fennel Tea Crème Fraîche (recipe follows)
2 (3-ounce) packages smoked salmon, cut into 3/4-inch strips
Garnish: red caviar and fresh dill
• Preheat oven to 375˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper; set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and
pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture
is crumbly. Stir in the fresh and dried dill. Gradually add the
cream, stirring until mixture comes together.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 3/4-inch
thickness. Using a 1-inch fluted round cutter, cut scones.
Reroll dough as necessary to form 24 scones.
• Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry
brush, lightly coat the tops with olive oil; evenly sprinkle
each with kosher salt. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly
browned. Cool on pan for 5 minutes.
• Cut scones in half, and spread each half with approximately
1/4 teaspoon Fennel Tea Crème Fraîche. Roll salmon strips
into rosettes, and place rosettes on scones. Garnish with red
caviar and fresh dill, if desired.