Pimiento-cheese lovers find a new favorite with these tasty scones.
Downloads:Pimiento-Cheese Scones Recipe
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 (3-ounce) package cold cream cheese, diced
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream, divided
• Preheat oven to 450°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking
soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and cream
cheese until mixture resembles coarse meal. Fold in 1/4 cup Cheddar
and the pimientos.
• Make a well in center of the mixture, and add 3/4 cup cream. Using
a fork, blend mixture until a loose dough forms. Place dough on
a lightly floured surface, and knead for 3 to 4 turns. Roll dough
out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch leaf-shaped cutter, cut
scones, rerolling scraps no more than twice.
• Place the scones on the prepared baking sheets, spacing at least
1 inch apart. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat scones with remaining
cream, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar.
• Bake until light golden brown, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.