These charming button-shaped shortbread cookies are packed with a flavorful freshly ground chai spice blend.
Downloads:Chai Shorbread Buttons
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
• Using a spice grinder, grind together fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, and ginger to make chai spice blend. Reserve 2 teaspoons, and store remaining spice blend in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
• Preheat oven to 375˚. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar for 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, reserved 2 teaspoons chai spice blend, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and stir until just combined.
• On a floured surface, pat the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 18 circles, rerolling as necessary. Place rounds on the prepared baking sheets. Using a 13/4-inch cutter, make a slight indentation on the inside rim of each dough round, being careful not to cut through the dough. Using a toothpick, make four holes in the center of each cookie.
• Bake until edges are pale golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer from the baking sheets to a wire rack to cool.