This hearty crostini is topped with wild mushrooms sauteed with shallots, garlic, and beef stock making it ideal for a fall tea party.
1 (8.5-ounce) French baguette, cut into 18 slices
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons minced shallot
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 pound wild mushrooms (such as oyster, crimini, and shiitake)
1/2 cup beef stock
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 cups baby spinach
Garnish: grated Asiago cheese and fresh chives
• Preheat oven to 350˚. Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and evenly brush with 1/4 cup olive oil. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
• In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook shallot, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and garlic for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms begin to brown, approximately 8 minutes.
• Pour in stock, and cook until reduced by half. Add cream, chives, thyme, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Place a spinach leaf on each crostino, then top with mushroom ragout.
• Garnish with grated Asiago and chives, if desired