Indulge in a slice of banana bread topped with banana chips, pecans, and our scrumptious honey mousse alongside your go-to cup of tea.
Downloads:Banana Bread Squares with Honey Mousse
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed until smooth
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved, divided
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons water
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 pound banana chips
Garnish: chopped pecans
• Preheat oven to 350°, and place rack in the center position.
• Spray a 10-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, pecans, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, and stir until
• In a medium bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, butter, sour cream, and half of the vanilla bean seeds. With
a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined,
being careful not to overmix. The batter should be thick and chunky. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
• Bake until bread is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, approximately 55
minutes. Transfer loaf, in pan, to a wire rack to cool.
• Place the gelatin in a small saucepan, and add the water to moisten, making sure all the gelatin is saturated. Set
• In the top of a double boiler, whisk together the egg yolks, honey, and remaining vanilla bean seeds. Whisk the
mixture constantly until thickened and lightened in color, approximately 10 minutes. Remove the mixture from
the heat, and set aside.
• Place the pan of moistened gelatin over low heat, and cook until gelatin melts, stirring occasionally. Pour the
melted gelatin into the warm honey mixture, and whisk until well combined. Set mixture aside to cool.
• In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
Gradually add the cooled honey mixture to the whipped cream. Once the mixture is well combined, refrigerate
for 10 minutes. Scoop the honey mousse into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip.
• Cut the banana bread into 10 to 12 (1/2-inch) slices, then cut each slice into 2 to 3 pieces. Place 3 banana chips on
each piece, and pipe honey mousse on top.
• Garnish with chopped pecans, if desired.