Chocolate and orange are two very complementary flavors. These starfish-shaped cookies are adorable and perfect for a seaside tea.
Downloads:Chocolate-Orange Starfish Cookies Recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Garnish: turbinado sugar
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed,
beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, mixing
well. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest, and mix to
combine. Set aside.
• In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and
salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and
beat to combine. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one
half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a star-shaped cutter,
cut cookies, and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle
with turbinado sugar, if desired. Repeat procedure with remaining
cookie dough, rerolling dough as necessary.
• Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheets,
then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.