1/2 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening, softened
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup finely ground pistachios
1 recipe Royal Icing for Cookie Bookmarks
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: assorted colored dragées, sprinkles, colored sugars, and
• In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat the shortening until smooth.
Add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the egg, and beat well,
scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
• In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and pistachios. With the mixer at
low speed, add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, and beat until a smooth dough forms, 1 to 2 minutes.
Wrap dough with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, approximately 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 4-inch-long rectangle cutter, cut as
many cookies as possible, rerolling scraps no more than twice.
• Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. While cookies are still
warm, use a skewer to make a hole at the top of each cookie, if desired, for ribbon decoration. Transfer the cookies
to wire racks to cool completely.
• Spread with icing. While icing is still wet, garnish with colored dragées, sprinkles, and colored sugars, if desired.
Let icing set.
• Thread ribbon through holes, if desired.