• In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the
half-and-half, sugar, seeds from scraped vanilla bean, and
mint. Heat until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from
• In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Using a
ladle, pour 1 cup of the hot half-and-half mixture in a slow,
steady stream into the beaten yolks, whisking constantly.
Slowly add another cup of half-and-half mixture, whisking
• Transfer the yolk mixture back to saucepan. Cook over
medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to
coat the back of a wooden spoon, or until mixture reaches 180°
on an instant-read thermometer.
• Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a stainless steel
bowl set in an ice bath. Stir until the custard is very cold.
• Freeze the custard in an ice-cream maker according to the
(Pictured with Mint Julep Profiteroles and Chocolate Bourbon Sauce)