• In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Increase
heat to medium-high, and bring butter to a boil. Continue to
cook, watching closely, until butter foams and turns golden in
color, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and immediately strain
through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Let cool to room temperature
• Preheat the oven to 400°, and position the rack in the center of
• Place 12 (3-inch) flower-shaped molds on a large baking sheet.
Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the molds with some of the
brown butter. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond
flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Fold in the beaten egg
whites, vanilla-bean seeds, raspberry extract, lemon juice, and
4 tablespoons brown butter. Divide the batter evenly among
molds. Bake for 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and place a raspberry
on top of each cake. Return the cakes to the oven, and
bake until the financiers are light brown and spring back when
touched, 5 to 7 minutes.Remove from oven, and let cool on a
• Garnish tops with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
*To toast almond flour, place a nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring
often until fragrant and being careful not to burn flour.