Tea and cake are a quintessential pairing. A slice of this poppy-seed flecked cake and a cup of warm tea are perfect for an afternoon indulgence.
Downloads:Victorian Poppy Seed Cake with Lime Glaze Recipe
(Recipe adapted from A Year of Teas at the Elmwood Inn by Shelley and Bruce Richardson.
Used by permission of Benjamin Press.)
1 cup room-temperature unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 recipe Lime Glaze (see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt or angel food pan. Set aside.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and
• Sift together the flour and baking soda. Alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture,
beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
• Combine the beaten egg whites, almond extract, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, and gently fold into batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan.
• When cake is cooled, pour Lime Glaze over top, and serve.