1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brewed white tea* (made with 1 1/4 teaspoons tea leaves
and 1/2 cup water)
1/2 cup water
8 cups (1-inch) watermelon cubes, seeds and rind discarded
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
Garnish: fresh mint
• In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the
sugar, brewed tea, and water. Heat until the sugar is dissolved
and syrup is simmering, approximately 5 minutes. Remove
from heat, and cool completely.
• In a food processor, puree the watermelon cubes. Reserve 4
cups puree, and discard any remainder, or set aside for another
use. Strain the puree through a fine-mesh sieve.
• Combine the cooled syrup, strained watermelon puree, lemon
juice, corn syrup, and salt. Stir to combine.
• Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s
• Garnish individual servings with fresh mint, if desired.
*For testing purposes, we used Oregon Street Tea Company Angel’s
Song White Tea.