Perfect along side a cup of tea, lingonberry jam makes these cookies unique.
Downloads:Lingonberry Sandwich Cookies
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup buckwheat flour
½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2⁄3 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1 teaspoon coffee extract
½ cup lingonberry jam*
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
• In a medium bowl, combine flours, zest, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
• In another medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add almonds and coffee extract, beating to combine. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating well.
• Shape dough into a disk, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough until firm, at least 2 hours.
• Preheat oven to 350˚.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a ⅛-inch thickness Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 24 cookies from dough. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets.
• Bake until barely brown around edges, 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
• Spread a thin layer of jam onto 12 cookies. Top jam layer with remaining 12 plain cookies.†
• Garnish cookies with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
*Lingonberries are related to cranberries. Lingonberry jam can be found at specialty-foods stores and online. Substitute a favorite jam, if desired.
†For best appearance, place wrong side (side that was against parchment paper) of cookies toward jam.