Light and airy, these delicate cakes are perfect alongside a cup of your favorite tea.
Downloads:Angel Food Cakes
1½ cups superfine sugar, divided
1 cup sifted cake flour
11 large egg whites*, at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
12 medium strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced.
12 small raspberries
• Preheat oven to 325˚.
• Spray a 12-well removable-bottom square baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside
• In a small bowl, whisk together ¾ cup sugar and cake flour.
• In a medium bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until combined. With mixer running, slowly add remaining ¾ cup sugar, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Add cinnamon and reserved vanilla seeds, beating until just combined.
• Sift flour-sugar mixture over egg whites in 4 separate additions, gently folding in after each.
• Divide batter evenly among prepared wells of pan. Smooth tops with a spatula. Gently tap pan on counter once or twice to release any air bubbles.
• Bake until golden brown around edges, 30 or 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Coat each cake evenly with confectioners’ sugar.
• Just before serving, top each cake with sliced strawberries and a raspberry.
*For recipes to use leftover egg yolks, go to teatimemagazine.com/extras.