For a soup to brighten any wintery day, try this warm and creamy cauliflower soup.
Downloads:Savory Cauliflower Soup
6 slices deli pancetta*
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
Garnish: shaved cauliflower†
• In a large saucepan, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp, approximately 6 minutes. Remove from pan, and discard.
• Add olive oil and onion to pancetta drippings. Cook over medium heat until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
• Add cauliflower. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
• Add broth, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until cauliflower is tender, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool for 30 minutes.
• In the container of a blender, puree mixture in batches until smooth. Return puree to pan.
• Add half-and-half and milk. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through, but don’t allow soup to boil. Serve warm.
• Garnish with shaved cauliflower, if desired.
*Pancetta is an Italian bacon that is cured but not smoked.
†Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice cauliflower florets. In a nonstick pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add cauliflower slices. Brown slices on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Use immediately.