These delightful scones are a wonderful way to celebrate our Independence Day.
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter
½ cup fresh blueberries
½ cup fresh raspberries
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Garnish: fresh raspberries, fresh blueberries, and fresh mint
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add blueberries and raspberries, tossing to coat with flour. Set aside.
• Add almond extract to cream. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms and is uniformly moist.)
• Using a levered ¼-cup scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until edges are golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
• Garnish with raspberries, blueberries, and mint, if desired.