Makes 24 baskets.
24 slices white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm White Sandwich Bread
¼ cup butter, melted
Spring-mix lettuce leaves
3 cups filling, such as Pimiento Cheese, Chicken-Almond Salad
, or Egg Salad
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray 2 (12-well) muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
• Cut crusts from bread. Discard crusts, or use for another purpose.
• Lightly press each bread slice into wells of prepared muffin pans, forming
a basket shape. Brush each bread basket with melted butter.
• Bake until light golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from
pans to wire racks to cool.
• When cool, store in airtight containers for use later the same day.
• Place 2 to 3 lettuce leaves in each bread basket. Using a levered
2-tablespoon scoop, divide filling evenly among baskets.