• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and cream cheese until mixture is crumbly. Add lemon zest, stirring to combine.
• Add ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut scones, and place on prepared baking sheets†. Brush scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
• Bake until lightly browned,approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
*For testing purposes, we used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring it.
†At this point, scones may be frozen on a parchment-lined baking sheet, if desired. Once frozen, transfer scones to a zipper-top plastic freezer bag. When ready to bake scones, place frozen scones on parchment-lined baking sheets, and follow remaining instructions, allowing an additional 5 to 10 minutes of baking time.