Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup whole buttermilk
1/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 recipe Tart Cherry Buttercream (see recipe download)
Garnish: fresh cherries
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray a 12-well standard-size muffin pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
• In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat at medium speed just until ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. Add chocolate chips, stirring to combine.
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop cupcake batter into prepared pan, filling wells two-thirds full.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 13 to 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
• Spread tops of cupcakes with Tart Cherry Buttercream.
• Garnish with a fresh cherry, if desired.