Makes 48 mini muffins
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup finely shredded zucchini
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup salted butter, melted
½ cup whole buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 recipe Lemon Glaze (recipe follows)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Spray 2 (24-well) mini muffin pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
• Place zucchini in a dish towel, and wring out excess moisture. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon extract, and zucchini, stirring until blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. (Overmixing will cause muffins to be tough.)
• Using a levered 2-teaspoon scoop, drop batter into wells of prepared muffin pans.
• Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack.
• Dip tops of muffins into Lemon Glaze, letting excess glaze drip off sides. Return to wire rack to let glaze dry.
MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Store finished muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day