Seared tuna atop crisp potato rounds is an appetizing teatime dish.
Downloads:Tuna Niçoise Bites Recipe
2 teaspoons peppercorns
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons juniper berries
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 (6-ounce) fillet Ahi tuna, cut into 1-inch-thick strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup Mixed Olive Tapenade
1 recipe Crisp Potato Rounds
Garnish: frisée, sliced radishes, crumbled boiled egg
• In a coffee grinder or spice grinder, combine the peppercorns,
fennel seeds, juniper berries, and salt. Pulse until finely ground.
Remove the spice mixture from the grinder, and place in a shallow
dish. Coat tuna strips with spice mixture, and discard remaining
• In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Once oil
begins to smoke, remove skillet from heat, and add tuna slices.
Return skillet to stove over medium heat. Flip slices every 30
seconds to sear all four sides. Transfer from the pan to a plate,
and refrigerate until ready to use.
• Thinly cut tuna strips crosswise into 1-inch squares. Set aside.
• Place ½ teaspoon Mixed Olive Tapenade on each Crisp Potato
Round. Top with a tuna square.
• Garnish with frisée, sliced radish, and crumbled boiled
egg, if desired.