Cucumber Boats give a festive presentation to a healthy, crisp salad.
Downloads:Southwestern Salad in Cucumber Boats
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons avocado oil
2 (10-inch-long) cucumbers
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, corn, bell pepper, olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and coriander, tossing until well combined. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until corn just begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
• In a large bowl, combine chickpea mixture, black beans, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, avocado oil, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
• Trim ends from cucumber, and cut cucumber in half horizontally. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds from center, discarding seeds. Cut each cucumber half into 6 pieces.
• Divide salad evenly among cucumber cups.
• Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.