¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes*
2½ cups gluten-free flour†
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold salted butter
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup chopped cooked bacon
1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons cold, heavy whipping cream
Garnish: fresh basil and grape tomatoes
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, place sun-dried tomatoes with enough boiling water to cover. Soak for 1 minute. Drain tomatoes well. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and bacon, stirring to combine. Add 1¼ cups cream, stirring until a dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness.
• Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
• Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until edges are light golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
*Do not use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes.
†For testing purposes, we used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend gluten-free all-purpose flour (namastefoods.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.