The rhubarb and mint in this sorbet give it a surprising twist.
6 pounds fresh rhubarb, divided
2 cups sugar, divided
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup Simple Syrup (see Download)
½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Garnish: fresh mint
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 4 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, toss 3 pounds rhubarb with 1 cup sugar. Arrange
in a single layer on 2 prepared baking sheets. repeat for remaining
3 pounds rhubarb and remaining 1 cup sugar, and arrange on
remaining 2 prepared baking sheets.
• Bake rhubarb until tender and juices have released, approximately
25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse rhubarb until smooth.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain rhubarb purée, pressing with a
rubber spatula or the back of a spoon. Set purée aside.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse strawberries until
smooth. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain strawberry purée in the
same manner as for the rhubarb purée.
• In another large bowl, combine 4 cups rhubarb puree with 1⅓
cups strawberry purée. Add Simple Syrup and lemon zest, whisking
• Using an ice-cream freezer, freeze sorbet mixture according to
• Transfer sorbet to an airtight container. Freeze until firm, approximately
• Garnish with mint before serving, if desired.