These fruity scones are a lovely addition to afternoon tea.
Downloads:Raspberries and Cream Scones
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup freeze-dried raspberries, such as Just Raspberries
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raspberries and cubed cream cheese, tossing to coat with flour mixture. Set aside.
• In a measuring cup, combine ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add cream mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Bring mixture together with hands until a stiff dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut rounds from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
• Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 19 minutes.