This simple and beautiful cake is a delectable addition to your Christmas tea.
Downloads:White Chocolate Cake
Makes 32 servings
1 (16.5-ounce) package white cake mix
3 large eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sour cream
1 (4-ounce) white chocolate baking bar, such as Ghirardelli, melted
1 recipe White Chocolate Buttercream
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: fresh currants
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and sour cream. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened, approximately 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium, and beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Add melted white chocolate, beating at low speed until incorporated. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the centers of cakes comes out clean, approximtely 25 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes. • Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
• Using a long, sharp serrated knife, trim tops of cakes so that rounds are completely level. Turn cakes over so that cut sides are down.
• Using a long spatula, frost top and sides of each cake with White Chocolate Buttercream, smoothing surface.
• Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, until serving time (no more than 24 hours).
• Using a long, sharp knife with a smooth cutting edge, cut each cake into 16 equal wedges.
• Garnish with fresh currants, if desired.