This delicate pastry balances salty and sweet flavors with the use of shallots and honey, and is perfectly suited to an afternoon tea.
Downloads:Caramelized Shallot and Blue Cheese Honeyed Swirls
Makes 15 pastries
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup (1/4-inch) sliced shallots
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1/2 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup honey
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium nonstick sauté pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and light brown, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and let cool. When cool, finely chop shallots. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine egg and water, whisking to blend.
• Place puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Brush lightly with egg wash. Spread caramelized shallots over egg-wash layer. Sprinkle evenly with blue cheese, Parmesan cheese, thyme, and pepper. Roll filled puff pastry firmly and evenly, jelly-roll style, to form a cylinder. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place cut slices on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with remaining egg wash.
• Bake until light golden brown, approximately 13 minutes. Remove pastries to a wire cooling rack, and let cool completely.
• Just before serving, brush pastries with honey.
• Garnish each with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Puff pastry can be filled, rolled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices up to an hour in advance. Refrigerate until ready to bake.