Perfectly bite sized and full of Asian flavors, these make-ahead canapés are sure to fly off of your serving tray.
Downloads:Asian-Glazed Scallop Canapés
Makes 12 canapés
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 large sea scallops
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, divided
1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce, such as Maggi Taste of Asia
1 teaspoon soy sauce
12 rice crackers with seaweed, such as Ka-Me
Garnish: fresh cilantro
• In a medium sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over high heat until it shimmers. Blot scallops dry on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Using tongs, place scallops in hot oil, and immediately reduce heat to medium. Let scallops cook, undisturbed, for exactly 1 minute.
• Turn scallops over, and cook for exactly 1 minute on other side. During that minute, add butter and 1 tablespoon lime juice. As soon as butter melts, spoon juices over scallops as they cook. At the end of second minute, immediately transfer scallops to a plate lined with paper towels. (Exterior of scallop should look caramelized, but interior should be tender and white.) Let scallops cool completely. Cover tightly, and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.
• Using a sharp knife, cut scallops in half horizontally to make 12 scallops.
• In a small bowl, combine sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and remaining 1 teaspoon lime juice, stirring to blend. Set aside.
• Place a chilled scallop on each rice cracker. Brush scallops with sweet chili glaze.
• Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
• Serve immediately.
Make-ahead tip: Scallops can be cooked earlier in the day and refrigerated until serving time. Sweet chili glaze can be made earlier in the day and refrigerated until serving time. Assemble canapés just before serving so rice crackers don’t become soggy.