Two rich cheeses and a pop of roasted red pepper blend beautifully to create this delicious scone, only enhanced by a dab of our Smoked Paprika Butter.
Downloads:Fontina, Parmesan, and Roasted Red Pepper Scones
Makes 12 scones
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup coarsely shredded fontina cheese
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese*
1/4 cup very finely chopped roasted red pepper
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
1 recipe Smoked Paprika Butter (see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Spray 2 (6-well) heart-shaped pans† with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour and black pepper, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheeses and roasted red pepper, tossing to coat with flour. Add 1 cup cream, stirring until mixture comes together as a dough. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough into wells of prepared pans, patting dough to create a level surface. Brush dough with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
• Bake until scones are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
• Serve warm with Smoked Paprika Butter, if desired.
*A fine Microplane grater will make quick work of grating Parmesan cheese, and the fine shreds it produces will melt easily. We do not recommend using preshredded Parmesan; it will not melt as well.
†We used Nordicware Platinum Mini Heart Baking Pans, which are available online at nordicware.com.