Perfectly light and delightfully floral, these scones, flavored with rose water and sprinkled with crushed pink peppercorns, are both beautiful and delicious.
Downloads:Pink Peppercorn-Rose Scones
Makes 12 scones
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons crushed pink peppercorns
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon rose water, such as Nielson-Massey
1 recipe Pink Glaze (see Download for recipe)
Garnish: ground pink peppercorns
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, peppercorns, and salt, whisking until blended. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
• In a measuring cup, combine cream and rose water. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring until a crumbly dough forms. Bring dough together with hands to form a ball. (If dough seems dry and won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough, and knead 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut 12 shapes from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 18 minutes. • • • Remove scones from baking sheet, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
• Spread Pink Glaze on tops of scones.
• Garnish with ground pink peppercorns, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To crush pink peppercorns, place whole peppercorns in a heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag, and tap with a rolling pin or a meat mallet.