Baked with a blend of rich spices and crystallized ginger, these pumpkin muffins set the tone for the bounty of autumnal treats yet to come at your harvest tea.
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger, divided
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
2/3 cup whole buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Recipe Cinnamon-Honey Butter (see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Spray a 12-well muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, and salt, whisking well. Add cranberries, if desired, and 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk, and oil, stirring until combined. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
• Fill wells of prepared muffin pan two-thirds full with batter. Sprinkle batter evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
• Serve with Cinnamon-Honey Butter, if desired.