2 cups self-rising flour*
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cold salted butter
1 cup diced, peeled green apple
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup cinnamon baking chips†
2/3 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add apple, walnuts, and cinnamon chips, stirring to combine. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine cream, egg, and vanilla extract, whisking well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together and forms a soft dough. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of scones with turbinado sugar.
• Bake until light golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
*For testing purposes, we used White Lily Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour, available in grocery stores throughout the Southeastern region of the United States and online at whitelily.com.
†For testing purposes, we used Hershey’s Cinnamon Baking Chips.