These muffins are the perfect tea-size fare for giving your brunch-themed tea a sweet start.
Downloads:Sugar and Spice Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg, divided*
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
¾ cup melted butter, divided
½ cup golden castor sugar
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Spray 9 wells of a 12-well muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon nutmeg, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine milk, egg, and ¼ cup melted butter, stirring well. Add flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are incorporated. (Don’t overmix, as this will make muffins tough. Batter will have lumps.)
• Using a levered ¼-cup scoop, divide batter among prepared muffin wells.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out dry, approximately 15 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack. (At this point, muffins may be stored in an airtight container until ready to serve.)
• In a small bowl, combine castor sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon nutmeg, whisking well.
• When muffins are cool enough to handle, dip tops of muffins into remaining ½ cup melted butter, and then into nutmeg castor sugar.
• Serve immediately.
*Ground nutmeg may be substituted, but adjust measurement to 1 teaspoon.