4 cups celery slices (1⁄8-inch slices)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup celery leaves, packed
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt to taste
Garnish: Parmesan Sourdough Croutons (see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine celery slices and olive oil, stirring until coated. Divide between prepared baking sheets, and spread in a single layer.
• Bake until tender, approximately 30 minutes.
• In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, roasted celery, and celery leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a brisk simmer, stirring occasionally and keeping pan covered.
• Cook until celery is very tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
• Add cream. Pour mixture into the container of a blender, and process at high speed until mixture is very smooth and creamy. (Process in batches, if necessary.) Add salt to taste, if desired.
• Serve warm.
• Garnish individual servings with a Parmesan Sourdough Crouton, if desired.
NOTE: Refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, warm over medium heat, adding more chicken stock, if necessary.