Impress your guests with these beautiful and delicate Strawberries and Cream macarons, the perfect treat for a spring garden party.
Downloads:Strawberries and Cream French Macarons
3 large egg whites
1 cup toasted slivered almonds
2 cups confectioners’ sugar*
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons strawberry extract
Red food coloring†
1 recipe Vanilla Bean–Cream Cheese Filling
(see Download for recipe)
• Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl, and let sit at room temperature, uncovered, for exactly 3 hours. (Aging the egg whites in this manner is essential to creating perfect macarons.)
• Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw 1½-inch circles 2 inches apart on parchment paper. Turn parchment paper over. Set aside.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine almonds and 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, pulsing until very finely ground. (Don’t overprocess or a nut butter will be created. The nut particles should stay separate and dry, not clump together.) Add remaining confectioners’ sugar, and process just until combined. Set aside.
• Beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes. (Egg whites will be thick, creamy, and shiny.) Add strawberry extract, beating well.
• Using a toothpick, add food coloring, a small amount at a time, beating until desired color is achieved.
• Add almond mixture to egg whites, folding gently until well combined. Let batter sit for 15 minutes.
• Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip. Pipe batter into drawn circles on prepared baking sheets.
• Slam baking sheets vigorously on counter 5 to 7 times to release air bubbles.
• Let sit at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking to help develop the macaron’s signature crisp exterior when baked. (Macarons should feel dry to the touch and should not stick to finger.)
• Preheat oven to 275°.
• Bake until firm to the touch, approximately 24 minutes.
• Let cool completely on pans, and then remove to airtight containers. Refrigerate until ready to fill and serve.
• Place Vanilla Bean–Cream Cheese Filling in a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe mixture onto flat side of macaron, and top with another macaron, flat sides together, pushing down lightly and twisting so filling will spread to edges. Repeat with remaining macarons and filling.
*To measure confectioners’ sugar accurately, spoon lightly into measuring cup, and level off, using a straight edge. Do not pack or scoop sugar into cup as this will negatively affect final product.
†We used Wilton No Taste Red food coloring.