These scones, flavored with chopped roasted and salted pistachios and fresh orange zest, make a tasty starting course.
2½ cups pastry flour*
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold salted butter
½ cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, cardamom, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add pistachios, stirring well. Add 1 cup cream, stirring until a dough forms. (If mixture seems dry and won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut 48 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
• Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.† Brush tops with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15
• Serve immediately.
*We used King Arthur Unbleached Pastry Flour.
†At this point, scones may be frozen on baking sheets and then transferred to zip-top freezer bags. When needed,
place frozen scones on parchment-lined baking sheets, and follow remaining recipe directions, allowing an additional 5 to 10 minutes of baking for adequate browning to occur.